Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Blogs and Poems

What are we reading and writing? Much of our work, reading, and projects show up on our Eagles Write Kidblog. Be sure to check out a few or our favorites:

What's in a picture:
The House by Spike What do you think? Haunted?
SOS -- Add a comment -- what happened next in this unfinished story by Sinda
SOS by Madto -- another unfinished story that will capture your mind.
Or read all the blog challenges: #teach2blog

Genius Project Day
Irish Folklore by Sinda
Jordan 23 by Smair
Reggie Miller by Carse
Music by Tangel
Or read them all: Genius Posts

Book Reviews
Navy Seal by Race
Dead and the Buried by Tysha
Never Cry Wolf by Levi
Read Across American by Pipi
Or read all the book reviews: Read Across America

Digital Learning Day
Bullying and Drama by Tangel
JFK by Pieron and JFK by Halos and JFK by Lykmo and JFK by Sinda
Knowing the Hard Way by Alka
Or read all the Digital Learning Day posts: Make4DLD14

These blogs represent both reading and writing learning.

Reading Literature and Information [generally]:
RL/I 1 I can cite several pieces of textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.
RL/I 2 I can determine a theme or central idea of a text and analyze its development over the course of the text.
RL/I 2 I can provide an objective summary of the text.
RL/I  3 I can analyze how particular elements of a story or drama interact (e.g., how setting shapes the characters or plot).
RL/I 4 I can determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including figurative and connotative meanings


Writing [generally]:
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.1c Use words, phrases, and clauses to clarify the
relationships among claim(s) and reasons.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.2b Develop the topic with relevant facts, definitions,
concrete details, quotations, or other information and examples.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.2c Use appropriate transitions to clarify the
relationships among ideas and concepts.

CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.2d Use precise language and domain-specific
vocabulary to inform about or explain the topic.

We have continued our Essay Strategies in March and April as well.

And we are celebrating National Poetry Month by reading and writing poetry. Please see our bulletin board in the hallway as we collect our own favorite poems from those we have written to place on our blogs. What do we learn about poetry? It's at once universal and personal. We learn to find the parts important to us, and learn from the poets the techniques that help both our prose and poetry writing using author and poet strategies.




This is a school related site so please respect others and comment appropriately. Please contact Ms Edwards if you have any questions or need to report any inappropriate activity. Thank you. Reflect Curiosity and Wonder... Go boldly and scatter seeds of kindness...

32 comments:

  1. Dear Ms.Edwards I think that you did a good job on the blog. You should put more pictures.How long did it take you to make this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lykmo. I will try to include more pictures. Be sure to smile when I snap one of you! I noticed in your blog that you learned how large the first cameras were. Now they fit in our pockets.

      Delete
    2. Lykmo, It took me about an hour to put all the links in the post so readers could go to your work.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ms.Edwards,
    I liked that you told about our posts. Maybe you can let us make our own blogs for us to talk about things. Could you consider letting us?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sinda, Thanks. I hope people see your work and what you have written about. You have your own kidblogs to talk about things; you can write on them on your own topics any time as along as you are school appropriate. I look forward to your stories and articles.

      Delete
  4. Ms.Edwards I like your blog post about what work we did but I think you could add more pictures about what we did in class.How long did it take you to post this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Narito. I do have more pictures, but I ran out of time. It took an hour to gather all the links and connect them to the words. I'll try to add more pictures. You can suggest when to take a picture when we are in class!

      Delete
  5. ms. Edwards
    I like that you said so many spectacular things about our 6th, 7th & 8th graders and their posts. How often do you post on this site?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Malco. Thank you all for writing such spectacular blog posts and Genius Project information. I post here about every two weeks.

      Delete
  6. Dear Mrs. Edwards, I like what we are doing about poems and this blog is amazing and cool.I think this blog is great the way it is.The other thing i like is that you got to talk about our post we made.Was this project fun for you and how long did this take you to make?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Spike. It took me about an hour to get all the links connected. A good blog has links for others to follow where your ideas come from. I like sharing your excellent work.

      Delete
  7. Dear Ms Edwards I think you did a good job.I think you should put more pictures. Was it hard to make it?.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Smair, Thank you. I will try to get more pictures -- be sure to smile when I take your picture :) This was not hard to create, but did take time place all the links in.

      Delete
  8. Dear Ms Edwards I thought that your blog was great. I think that you should add more links to go to. How long did it take you to make this blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Halos, Thank you. I tried to highlight work from all the grades, and I included links to all the blogs under each category. It took me about an hour to get the links together.

      Delete
  9. Dear Ms.Edwards I like what you did with the blog. I think you should put more pictures also. How did you come up with this stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zella, I came up with this idea because my students are working so hard to become good writers on their blogs. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  10. Dear Mrs . Edwards I think you did a great job on this page. I think it would be cool if you put more picture on it. How long did it take you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Carse. Thank you. I will put in more pictures -- so smile a lot in class! It took me about an hour to gather all the links and connect them in my post.

      Delete
  11. Ms. Edwards I like your blog post it's pretty cool.Also I think you should put more words. How did you get these fish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pieron. I did link to your JFK post so others cold read it. The fish area is called a widget; I don't know if we can add them to kidblogs, but when you are in grade 8 you will have a blog called edublogs on which you can add widgets. I see what you mean about adding more words -- I could have told about each link. Thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
  12. Ms Edwards I like your blog and you did a good job.you should have little more pics.Did you have fun when you made your blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Marka. Thank you. I did have fun making this to show off your work! It's always fun to share my students' excellent projects. I will try to include more pictures.

      Delete
  13. Dear Ms. Edwards, I liked that you wrote about the poems. You should post more pictures. How long did it take you t make this blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zella, I think our poems, although short, are full of ideas that we all think about -- LIFE, My Life, Spring. I'll get some more pictures to blog about.

      Delete
  14. Mrs.Edwards, you did a very good job. I think you should put more pictures about the class. How many words did you put

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Devon, thank you. I will add more pictures in the next weeks. I put in as many words as I needed to explain my topic.

      Delete
  15. Ms. Edwards I like your blog post about the class.The pictures that you posted were good pictures.How long did it take you to do this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gramda, thank you. I think our students are working very hard to learn the goals and standards. It took me about an hour to find and link all your work.

      Delete
  16. MRS.Edwards i liked the part when you said "poetry is universal." it was inspirational

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ritton, thank you. Poetry is universal and personal. I appreciate your poetry and hope you continue to write poetry throughout your life.

      Delete

Please remember this is a family and school related site. Please post and comment appropriately. Please contact Ms Edwards if you have any questions or to report any inappropriate activity. Thank you. sheri at nsdeagles dot org